The Directorate was established in November 2016 as a Directorate under the office of the Vice Chancellor. The idea of having ICT Directorate is not far-fetched as it is expected to facilitate achieving the University’s key mission of having an Information Technology driven institution. The Directorate started with few staff and is organized to form seven functional units, the Software Development Unit, Network Unit, Maintenance Unit, Teaching & Learning Technology Unit, Training Unit, Management Information System Unit and IT Support Unit.
The Directorate serves as the local provider of Information System services at the University with the Software unit developing software applications and/or components for automation of processes and services in the University, including mobile applications; Source, deploy, promote and manage use of open source software; Advice the University Management on acquisition of COTS (Commercial off-the- shelf) software, provide technical support for use and management of software systems in the University, provide system Computing & MIS services for the computing facilities in the University, develop policies and guidelines for use and maintenance of official and personal Web sites. On the other hand, the Research and Development Unit is responsible for Liaise with IT related Departments (ICT, Computer Science, Library etc.) to determine viable researches and researchers; Coordinate and review Information System (IS) policies, IS research proposals and strategic plans for the MIS, Seek grant to build and maintain an Information System test bed Laboratory and MIS Centre of Excellence, Preparation of Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) in conjunction with the University’s Legal Unit on IT related collaborations or partnerships, Organize workshops, seminars and conferences as well as participate in national and international conferences and seminars on computing services, use and application.
The Goal of the MIS is to facilitate sustainable collaboration with other higher institutions and industry players at home and abroad, in delivering contemporary teaching and learning methodologies through the application of Information Technology/Systems that will enhance and promote modern research, development and consultancy for the advancement of value-based information systems at Federal University Birnin Kebbi and the host community.
The Software Development unit houses the programmers, system analysts, database administrator, web and content developers and graphics/data entry operators. The team ensures the online visibility of the University and its activities while keeping the community abreast of latest events within the campus.
- Provide users support for web and mail services.
- Maintain university domain and website.
- Provides support for the University registration / academic portal.
- Provides support for the Enterprise Solution within the University.
- Provides computer Hardware/Software and Helpdesk support services.
- Provide training workshops for staff and students on Information Systems.
- Participate in program for the promotion of ICT awareness within the community.
- Examination Card Production for students.
The Directorate is committed to promoting knowledge and understanding of Information Technology/Systems among the University’s students and Staff and in the wider community. Furthermore, it encourages critical thinking about the use of these technologies and its importance for national development.
The Directorate offers related trainings and refresher programs to the University Staff, Students and the host community. Some of the training conducted are listed below:
- COMPUTER APPRECIATION PROGRAMME: Training programme organized in-house for students of Government Secondary School Kalgo on JAMB CBT
- TRAIN THE TRAINER PROGRAMME: The Directorate organized training for its staff, ICT, and Department of Computer Science, Federal University Birnin Kebbi to boost their knowledge on IT Essentials, PHP, MySQL, and Java Programming Language.
- ONLINE GRADING SYSTEM USING PORTAL: Due to the new portal registration system introduced in 2016, the University organized training for Lecturers, Staff of the Directorate of Examination and Records and Academic Office on how to use the portal for students’ registration.
- TRAINING OF SIWES STUDENTS: MIS trains Corps Members and Industrial training Student working at the on: System Administration, Database management, Web Design, Application packages Practical
- The University Website: The University website is a central point of information about the University where you can find information about the faculties, directorates/units, mission and vision, latest news and links to University portal, Email and other services. The website is accessible at http://www.fubk.edu.ng and is regularly monitored and updated by experienced web developers and designers.
- The University Online Registration Portal: Is an online students’ registration portal with different modules that allows students’ fee payment, course registration, reservation of accommodation, exam processing and generation of reports. The University portal was launched in 2016 and has improved efficiency across so many processes of the University.
- HR and Payroll: These applications automate some key processes of the University, which comprise of the payroll unit and the accounts unit, and Registry department. This software was launched in 2017 and has made the work of the user departments more efficient in tune with this digital era.
- Electronic Transcript Processing: This system enables students to order for their transcripts online and the generated electronic transcripts can be sent to any institution of choice all around the world. The Directorate is working towards a fully networked lab with transcript processing software dedicated for this process.
- Open Access Repository: The open access repository is an institutional repository for storing electronic journals, projects and thesis on the web. The system is been tested locally and the project team is working on the live system. The aim of the repository is to make the University’s research work for both lecturers as well as students readily available over the internet hence easing the cost of publishing through expensive journals. Major University’s around the world such as Harvard and Oxford University have joined the open access movement and hence we can have access to the collection of other members research work through the repository.
- Examination card Production: The Directorate is responsible for the data capture, data processing and production of Examination cards of all students of the University. These processes are handled by experienced data processing staff for enhanced data security and control.
- Computer Based Testing: Computer based test is the administration of an examination using a computer. This format is flexible in that the test can be taken at different times and in different locations. It allows testing centers to offer a more consistent test delivery, faster scoring and reporting, and enhanced test security. The university Computer Based Testing Center which will start late 2017 is expected to be used as an examination administrating medium for large classes.
- Automated Admissions letter processing: This automated admission processing automate the tedious processing and editing of all admission letters of the University. This process is more efficient.